<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
The One about the Hall Play
Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:36 PM

Omgosh the blog is so ugly without any postings hahaha. So what better excuse than to upload my first observation for this week! (Well besides that it's being graded but that's besides the point :) )

My friend and I (along with some of her friends) went to a hall play in school yesterday. One of the male characters, Ronald, was standing on a table while fixing the lamp. He was trying to put it back together after it was dismantled by another character. So he asked for a screw. And his wife announced to the other characters who were in the scene: "Everyone! Ronnie needs a screw!"

The joke here lies in the double entendre in the word "screw", just like the word "spunky" ;) So the audience laughed at the implicit sexual connotation since as informed young adults, we all got the joke. But I'm sure the children sitting at the front probably just thought he really needed the metal fastener :)

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.