One of my coursemates from another module that I'm taking this semester (Discourse Structure) put up this example on the forum:

He commented that it was interesting that the first sign appeals to the customer's negative face by giving him/her the space to do what they want. He said the sign also conforms to politeness strategies, such as the use of the words "dear customer" and "your thoughtfulness". However the second sign sounds authoritative, with no leeway whatsoever.
I found it so cool that he made an observation like that! To quote the oft-used phrase, "Why didn't I think of that?" :D
For me, my theory is that as compared to smoking, studying seems more tame and of course, it doesn't break the law. And by right, it is the customer's "prerogative" to study there as they've already purchased food/drinks. So of course the restaurant will use more polite words to encourage customers to not study.
In the case of smoking, it's a big DUH that you shouldn't cause hey, it's air-conditioned and you're supposed to smoke in the yellow box anyway (just fyi, the outlet was at Bishan)
I'll be on the lookout for signs that say "Dear customers, please refrain from smoking in our restaurant at all times". Now THAT should be posted hehe.