<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
The Tempted Voucher
Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:30 PM

As linguists, we're all taught not to sneer at the "deviations" from the variety of language we call Standard English.

However, I am (guiltily) amused by this post on the IVLE regarding blood donation awareness talks.
























It's not very clear in the picture but what it says is:
Besides, there will be goodie bags with tempted voucher (value up to $20) distributed for ealiest birds.

Be warned, fellow linguists, the vouchers you could be receiving are tempted. There is also the wrong use of preposition and a spelling error but like Prof Ooi said, we're not S-tom-pers :)

Interesting point though - both tempting and tempted here function as adjectives. Though tempted could be used as a verb (I tempted her to break her diet), it seems that tempted here is almost like an adjective (cf: The tempted girl couldn't resist the chocolate buffet). Hmmm. What do you guys say?

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.