<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
You will always be my boo
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:28 AM

Remember Prof Ooi gave us the word "imma", and said that those who have not come across the word might not know what it meant? I was thinking about words in the black vernacular English variety that have made it into popular culture, and I thought of the word "boo".

One very popular song that uses the word "boo" is Usher and Alicia Keys' duet "My Boo". (Wiki entry here :) )

So one line of the lyrics goes:
I know we haven't seen each other in a while but you will always be my boo

According to urbandictionary.com, "boo" is used to refer to one's boyfriend or girlfriend.

Black Eyed Peas also uses the word in their song "Shut Up":
Things that lovers say and do. I love you boo, I love you too.

Timely information with V-day around the corner huh? ;p

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.