<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Cheap Sale!
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:46 AM

I was the National Museum of Singapore for the Egyptian exhibition and had some time to spare after that, so I went to the Bag exhibition upstairs, which featured paper and plastic bags in Singapore throughout the years.

And of course, even while I was there to do a project on another module, I was still looking out for lexical observations for this module (Prof, are you reading this? ;D )

And I found this bag that had me raising an eyebrow.


























No, I'm not talking about their fashion :p I was referring to this:





















It's a redundant thing to say isn't it! Cheap sale! It's like saying tall skyscraper, or dark night. It's already implied in the noun!

But perhaps the store was right in saying this. I surfed Merriam Webster and the definitions in points 1 and 4 were different:
1) the act of selling
4) a selling of goods at bargain prices

So if the store was referring to the first definition, then their use of "cheap sale" could be justified. Though I find it abit iffy that they would describe a "sale" as "cheap". I would rather if they had said "cheap prices" or "cheap clothes", but that's just me :D

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.