<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Clark Kent the Clerk?
Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:47 PM

Ok so my earlier promise of a spammage of posts is, to put it in informal speak, failz. It was getting late and the sandman was calling (I'm getting old). So let me continue my posts today.

A few days back, I came across the word "clerk", and I immediately wondered whether it was pronounced as "klɜrk" or "klɑrk" (I've learnt how to cheat and put the symbols in blog posts! :D). I've been debating with my friends (and myself) as to which is the accepted pronunciation for a few years now. I would pronounce it as "klɜrk" while my friends would pronounce it as "klɑrk". And none of us could come up with the answer to put an end to the debate once and for all.

Thus I have decided today to put an end to the debate once and for all.

I turned to my good ol' friend, dictionary.com, for advice. In the entry, the IPA symbols section had this:
/klɜrk; Brit. klɑrk/

!!!

I've been Americanised! Haha. As opposed to my friends who have remained under the influence of the British schooling system, American TV has managed to override my British influences and made me accept the American pronunciation.

Huhu.

I wonder if the same reasoning applies for the hash brown debate in the previous post :D

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.