<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
On the Bandwagon
Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:36 AM

I was at my cousin's place last week and we somehow got into the topic of pronuncations, or specifically, mis-pronunciations. So my cousin, who was 16, told me that his English teacher should be fired. He said that his teacher taught him that "wagon" should be pronounced as /weIg@n/.

SAY WHAT?!?!

As a budding linguist, I've always repeatedly told myself that I should not judge someone by the way s/he pronounces words (pasir ris low not included). But when I heard about how his teacher pronounced wagon I felt like slapping her, and slapping myself too. (I guess I was that upset)

I can't offer an explanation as to the teacher's (warped) pronunciation, except that she might have been high on something that day :s

And the online dictionaries I checked also confirmed that there was only one pronunciation of wagon, which wasn't the one that she said.

Perhaps she thought the "wa" in "wagon" was supposed to be pronounced the same way as the Singaporeans' way of saying the "we" in "wedges"?

I guess this is similar to when Prof encountered the guy who said "dah-ta", though I still cannot in the life of me figure out how in the world she could have pronounced it as /weIg@n/.


They let anybody in these days.

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.