<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
The One about the Hash Brown
Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:11 AM

I realise that I have not been updating and fulfilling the minimum requirement of two posts per week, but fear not fellow coursemates! I have been keeping track of my lexical observations and jotting them down. And thus begins the spammage of posts in the next hour :D

So anyway while on a break last Tuesday during our class, Danny and I went to the canteen to get snacks. He went to the, urm well, snacks stall while I watched :D

He ordered hash browns. Nothing peculiar right? Except that he pronounced it as








(I apologise about having to paste an image, Blogger doesn't have the phonetics font :( )

Instead of the common pronunciation of









So which one is it???

I ran a search on dictionary.com and though they did not have the IPA pronuncation symbols for "hash brown", they did however have one on "hash".

The result? Great minds think alike. Haha. The IPA symbols on dictionary.com show that the pronunciation is this:









Which then brings us to the question- why did Danny pronounce it as








Care to explain yourself? :D

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.