<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6251802114015303257?origin\x3dhttp://el4216rashidah.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Party in the USA.. Or UK?
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:29 PM

I was out with my friend last Friday. We were at Daiso as she wanted to look for a vase (can you see where this post is going? :D). My friend is a fellow EL major (just fyi) and she said to me, "I'm going to go look at the /vɑz/."

It immediately reminded me of Emmalyn' s post about the /vɑz/-/veɪs/ distinction.

So because we're linguists-in-training, I decided that I could talk to her about it without being judged.

Me: Eh actually I pronounce it as /veɪs/.

Friend: Huh? Why?

Me: I don't know. I think it has something to do with the British-American distinction.

Friend: But that's so weird, I've never heard anyone use /veɪs/ before.

Me: Ya, I think I watch too much American TV.

Friend: *laughs*


So I went to Merriam Webster later at night (dictionary.com has failed me yet again!), and found that indeed, /vɑz/ is the British pronunciation, whereas /veɪs/ is the American one. (For a guide to the AHD transcriptions, check out yahoo dictionary's pronunciation key here).


I've asked around and it seems that most of my peers use /vɑz/ more, which I attribute to our British-based education system. I'm sure that long ago, when I was still in secondary school/JC, I would have said /vɑz/. But I guess my American TV influences are too strong (ie: I watch too much TV :s) after I left and entered uni.


On a related note, my sister pronounces "dance" as /dans/, instead of /dAns/. I thought it was pretty strange! Haha.



And then I realise that I pronounce words like "dance" and "can't" the Brit way, but when I sing along to songs, I pronounce it the American way. Even British singers alter their pronunciations to the American pronunciations in songs. Compare the way Craig David speaks and sings for example!

Which reminds me of this reading I, urm, read for a module last year. It talked about how British singers in the 60s alter their pronunciations in songs so as to sound more American and break into the market. The American music scene was booming back then, while the British one wasn't as established.

So while I admit that I am Americanised in some ways, such as saying /veɪs/, at least I'm not so Americanised as to say /dans/ or /cant/ :D

Y'all have a good day now, y'hear?

About this Blog
Nur Rashidah

This blog is a compulsory component of a Linguistics module I'm taking. I, along with my other coursemates, have to note down our observations on the English Language twice weekly.

I'll try to make the anecdotes as entertaining and personal as possible, but having said that I must stress that this is in no way a personal blog whatsoever :)

Do leave a comment to say hi, criticise constructively or just to share what's up :)

Tag! You're it!

The Cool Coursemates
Amelia Teng
Amelia Leong (Mia)
Daniel #1
Daniel #2 (Danny)
Emmalyn
Heon
Hui Min
Jeanette
Jia Jie
Melissa
Ying Qi
Zuhara

Archives
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • Credits
    Honesty is the best policy! Leave the credits alone!
    This layout is proudly made by hopmad. Images are from tumblr and flickr. Hopmad did the collage of the images with the help from GIMP and she got the textures from swimchick.